How To Clean A Washing Machine
Cleaning a washing machine is an essential maintenance task to keep it running efficiently and remove any built-up residue or odors. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to clean a washing machine:
- Read the manufacturer’s instructions: Before starting, it’s a good idea to check the user manual for any specific instructions or recommendations from the manufacturer regarding cleaning your washing machine.
- Gather supplies: You’ll need the following supplies for the cleaning process:
- White vinegar
- Baking soda
- Microfiber cloth or sponge
- Toothbrush or small brush
- Distilled water (optional)
- Mild detergent (optional)
- Clean the detergent dispenser: Remove the detergent dispenser or drawer (if removable) from the washing machine. Wash it thoroughly with warm water and mild detergent. If there are any stubborn residues, use a toothbrush or small brush to scrub them away. Rinse the dispenser and let it dry completely before placing it back.
- Clean the drum: There are a couple of methods you can use to clean the drum of your washing machine:a. Vinegar and baking soda method:
- Start by running an empty cycle on the hottest water setting. If your machine has a clean cycle or a tub clean mode, use that.
- Pour two cups of white vinegar into the detergent dispenser or directly into the drum.
- Add half a cup of baking soda into the drum.
- Run the washing machine through a complete cycle.
- Once the cycle is finished, wipe the inside of the drum with a microfiber cloth or sponge to remove any remaining residue.
b. Vinegar and water method (for top-loading machines):
- Fill the washing machine with hot water until it’s almost full.
- Add four cups of white vinegar to the water.
- Allow the machine to agitate for a few minutes, then pause the cycle and let the mixture sit in the drum for about an hour.
- After the soaking period, resume the cycle and let it complete.
- Wipe the inside of the drum with a microfiber cloth or sponge.
- Clean the exterior: Wipe down the exterior surfaces of the washing machine with a damp cloth or sponge. Use a mild detergent if necessary. Pay attention to the control panel, knobs, and any other areas that may accumulate dirt or grime.
- Clean the door seal/gasket: If your washing machine has a rubber door seal or gasket, it’s important to clean it to prevent mold or mildew growth. Use a mixture of equal parts water and vinegar to wipe the seal thoroughly. Pay close attention to any crevices or folds where dirt or residue can accumulate. Dry the seal with a clean cloth afterward.
- Regular maintenance tips: To keep your washing machine in good condition, consider the following tips:
- Leave the door or lid open after each use to allow air circulation and prevent mold growth.
- Wipe down the drum and detergent dispenser after each use.
- Use the recommended amount of detergent and avoid overloading the machine.
- Periodically check and clean the drain pump filter (if your machine has one) to remove lint or debris.
Remember, it’s essential to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and recommendations when cleaning your washing machine. www.appliancerepairsbelfast.com
tel 07784844744 for a no call out charge